From wine tasting to bush walking, hot air ballooning to dog-sledding Merrijig is the perfect base to experience all the beautiful High Country has to offer.
Why not try fly fishing in the pristine Delatite River or horse riding through country where ‘The Man from Snowy River’ was filmed?
The region is a bushwalker’s paradise with close access from 187Merrijig to many stunning walks through the Alpine National Park including Mt Stirling Summit Walk, Mt Buller Summit Walk, Timbertop Saddle to Summit, Craig’s Hut and the Howqua Hills Heritage Track.
187Merrijig is just a 15-minute drive from the base of Victoria’s alpine resorts of Mt Buller and Mt Stirling at the southern end of the Great Dividing Range.
In winter with 22 lifts Mt Buller has the largest lift network in Victoria and caters for all levels of experience. Mt Stirling’s pristine trails are renowned for its backcountry cross country skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, which are free to access.
Both mountains are year-round destinations. Mt Buller hosts sensational summer activities such as hiking, mountain biking, road cycling and running events.
The Mansfield Farmers’ Market, held on the 4th Saturday of every month, features fresh and artisan local produce. Stock up on fruit and vegetables, pates and terrines, homemade breads, olive oil or ciders and wines.
The region has a full calendar of annual events which include –
- The Merrijig Rodeo for a little taste of country
- The Bike Buller festival for mountain bike enthusiasts
- Mt Buller has a host of events throughout the winter from the opening weekend festivities through to the close of the season
- La Dolce Vita and Weekend Fit for a King Festivals for lovers of wine in the King Valley
- The Mansfield High Country Festival in October/November a 5-day event featuring markets, village fairs, food and wine events, arts and exhibitions, a Grand Parade and fireworks.
- The Mansfield Spring Arts Festival
- The Targa High Country Rally for rally car enthusiasts.
- The Mansfield Melbourne Cup Picnic Races in November for lovers of country racing.